Sunday, October 25, 2009

Oirase River Gorge in the fall

October 22 2009: Andi's 3rd grade class took a field trip up to Oirase River Gorge. We've been there before (back in July). But now, it is fall and the leaves are starting to turn. So, took a deep breath and volunteered to help chaperon. Oh, who are we kidding, I love going on field trips! I love it even more when I can ride the bus and not drive myself. No, really, I mean it. Let somebody else do the driving and navigating....I can just sit back and watch.
In any case, as you can see, rice has been harvested. I didn't get any pictures of the actual harvest as it was right at the time that my tooth got pulled, and I was just not in the mood to be up and walking around.
But, most of the fields get stacked in different ways. The rice has already been removed and the stalks are stacked and dried. I guess the different stacking is the preference of each farmer. They dry the stalks to be used to make the tatami mats (the mats you find on the floors in homes). Also, some will be set aside to make the door decorations for the Japanese New Year, and some of the older generation will bundle the straw and burn it in the winter. And as feed for the cattle. So many uses, nothing is wasted.

Above: Starting to enter the foothills.


At the River Gorge. I took pictures of the children during the field trip. But those photos will be forwarded over to the teacher. I won't post any with children, other than my own, as I wasn't able to speak to the parents to get their permission. But it was wonderful. There were enough parents, that I had Andi and one other child. It made for a relatively easy day (except for lunch).




The road that runs by the river. At this particular moment, there weren't many cars. Let me tell you, this road was packed with buses, car, bicyclists, everybody and their mother was here. Well, actually just a good portion of China. This is a popular tourist destination. A lot of the folks I spoke to were from Taiwan and Hong Kong. They were most fascinated with the school field trip. I don't think I've spoken so much on an outing in a long time. Was nice to interact with yet another culture.

Now, for a lunch time story. Doesn't this look just like the most peaceful place in the world to sit on a log and eat lunch and watch the water, the leaves, and talk to other passerby on the trail? Andi and I thought so. But the little girl we were with was full of whines. Andi chose a rock....nixed by the other, to close to the water. Andi chose a log with a tourist sitting on it (Andi willing to share a log with a stranger....now that girl was HUNGRY). Nope, nixed because it was with a stranger. (really, stranger danger isn't quiet as frightening here, especially when surrounded by hundreds of other tourists, and your chaperon is with you). So, on to another log. Andi pronounced it perfect, as did I. Complete with moss and little mushrooms. Andi plopped down and started eating.


The other girl timidly sat, then leaped up and asked if she could put her sweater on the log. Of course! She laid it out very primly, sat again, and started drinking her beverage. Two seconds later up she lept! Pronouncing in a slightly annoying tone..."it's to icky to sit here...I can't do it!" Now, I know if Andi can sit there...then it's not that bad. I told her there really weren't any picnic tables in this area. "I HAVE to eat at a table" "Really? Have you ever been hiking?" "Well, not in anything like THIS....I'm used to a really nice trail, and a covered picnic area" "oh...we might have a problem...there are some tables back down by where we started, but they have nature on them as well" "I don't care... I WANT TO GO BACK!"

My daughter....what a trooper. I'll have to give her credit, she tried to get the other child to look on the bright side. But to no avail. Andi rolled her eyes (mine were rolling as well, just not when the child was looking) and said "FINE, we'll go back". Back down toward the main area we trekked. We came upon another group at a table AND bench. I asked the young child did she want to eat at the table....it was complete with a THICK layer of moss. She said "no, the bench will do fine" It appeared to be clear of moss...but no telling what bugs were lurking under there. Of course I held my tongue. I think she was to the point that she would high tail it back to the bus and never come off. Andi sat at the table and ate with me. She whispered to me that she would get a different partner if we ever had another hiking field trip.


Other than that, it was a wonderful trip. The colors were beautiful. The weather wasn't too bad. Andi had hat and gloves on, plus her light weight winter coat. But I don't think 50 is to bad anymore. It was just right for hiking. Well, not really hiking. It was more like weave and dodge through some throngs of tourists. Appreciate the few moments of no one around you, then dodge the next group coming back down to the main area. Even though there were a lot of people it is still a very peaceful area.....well, unless you are trying to find a lunching spot with a 3rd grader who wants a pristine, but not nature pristine, eating area.



I survived. I'll even do it again. I was proud of Andi....usually she's not so crazy about eating on a log, but after being shot down several times for other locations, I wonder if she found the mossy log on purpose. (really not a spot I ever envisioned my child voluntarily picking out)

Below: Andi and I at the end of the day.