Sunday, April 4, 2010

Onsen!




April 4 2010
It finally happened. Knew it would at some point. Went to an Onsen with a group of friends. Thankfully, two had been before, so they could lead the sheep to slaughter. Actually, it was a wonderful time.
An onsen in the most basic of terms a bath house centered around a hot spring. Here in Japan, well there are a LOT of hot springs. They are very clean, as one must shower thoroughly and rinse before going in.
The water is about where I like my bath water....what I call "weak kneed" - which is where it is hot enough that when you get out, you must lie down on the bed for awhile. Well, now of course there are no beds to lie down at the onsen, so every now and then I had to pop my upper body out of the water for a bit of cool air.
This onsen that we went to is at the Komaki Grand Hotel. It has indoor and outdoor. We went at night, and it was just gorgeous sitting out under the stars. The Japanese sit very quietly. The gaggle of white women tend to chat.
The link shows some pictures of the onsen and gives you an idea of what our view was like. Oddly, I didn't feel that I should bring my camera....I do have limits to where I'll take it, after all.
(the above pictures are taken from the website)