Monday, February 28, 2011

Did we get out????

February 28 2011: OMH!!! (which hopefully means: oh my heck!) we actually got out of the house. Not a great distance, just 'round the corner and down the coastal road about 5 minutes. I have recalled seeing a sign for some sort of beach for many a journey now and always tuck it away to the back of my mind "for another day". Well, that day arrived. Saturday the 26th started out as a bit snowy (a wet snow that didn't last) and by afternoon I needed to get out of the house.
Found the turnoff, after a having to do a double back. Shane and Andi were actually taking bets as to whether I really knew if this place existed. (I know it did, just because they've never noticed the sign for it doesn't mean anything). Anyway, found the turn off. Found the beach. Found that nobody had brought along an appropriate jacket for walking the beach in the dead of winter. Perhaps I should've warned them that heavier jackets might be in order.....not that my windbreaker did much good. Plus it does look a bit desolate in the winter. For example, the watch tower below, not sure if it is a life station, or some sort of other warning system watch tower. It was too cold to walk that far down the walk way. (all of 50 yards, but when the cold wind is blowing off the ocean, it might as well be at least 100 yards)


Above: Andi in full "japanese camera picture taking mode", me, I'm just concentrating on looking thin and young. (I'm still waiting....how long should I hold the pose?)
Below: A view through the trees at some "dry docked" fishing vessels and the beach marker.

Above: Rules of the beach. Oh, this might take some figuring out. I'm assuming that since "x"'s are on the simmers, it must be no swimming....or is it no lap swimming. It is an open beach...not protected by a seawall, so I'm assuming no swimming. Obviously we'll find out this summer, when we return in warmer weather.
Above: Decorative lamp posts. I like it when lamp posts have a theme. Makes them more quaint. (statements like that remind me that I must be growing older....where did this woman come from?)
Below: Map of "where are we". I don't know. If you enlarge the picture, I believe we are up towards the top right where the people are throwing in the fishing nets. I do know we are definitely north of the road split. (I know this as that's where we turned around for our double back)
So, it was a short outing. But thank heavens we got out! Life continues onward! (I wish it would slow down just a tad) Now, if the weather can keep up its warming trend then perhaps I can venture out to the Japanese bike shop and purchase my new bicycle. And of course this means I'll have to use it. Oy vey! How much exercise can I possibly get...pedal, pedal, pedal...stop, take picture, pant, pant, pedal, pedal, pedal...etc.
(and drat it all, my spell check for blogger doesn't seem to be working....let's hope I caught most of the mistakes!)