Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 29 2011

April 29 2011: Happy Anniversary to my wonderful husband! It's been an amazing 11 years! (and isn't it nice of us to let the Royal couple share our special day?)
And now on to other things....let me just say this transition to the monkey is purely accidental (really it is) ( I had loaded the photos yesterday, then realizing today's date, added in the wedding pictures...though I do feel like I'm living in the zoo at times)
Anyway, while at our Safe Haven for the evacuations we went to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake. It has improved a little over the years, but still not my favorite zoo.
There were a million and a half little people there for school field trips, but once we got past the playground area, it was better. I did miss the super polite Japanese children who may run at a park, but don't go 'round screaming their heads off and barging into others. Ah well....
Andi had a good time at the elephant exhibit. I think the skull made a bigger impression on her than the baby elephant, and a ride on the carousel.
Taken towards the end of our visit, perhaps expressions of tiredness...not sure.

Also on the big "to do" list was a visit to Thanksgiving Point for the dinosaur museum.
I think if I let her, Andi would've been happy to spend many days in here.


Andi and mom in front of a great white. Andi was getting in the spirit of posing for a picture. Took Grandma a few takes to realize what Andi was doing. I have one shot of Andi posing in terror while Grandma has a smile AND her eyes open. Thank goodness for digital when you can take and retake and retake to your hearts delight.

The Salt Lake Tribune ran an article about a "controversial" mural that had been painted on a retaining wall owned by The Canyon Inn Bar and Grill. Fearing that it would be painted over, I dragged my mother and child up the road so that I could get pictures. There are at least two ways to look at this....evil is taking over and the temple is burning because of it...or the temple is rising out of the flames of evil to conquer good. Either way, I think it is a delightful art piece. A link to the article.....

And then there are the cats. My cat, Roy (who is sitting on my lap) and Grandma's cat, Fi-tu. I had Roy for years, he was around when Andi was born. He enjoys cuddling, just not with her awake. Fi-tu on the other hand, is the cat who will nip at your hand if you dare pet him in the wrong way, but never with Andi....he adores her. Andi's quest was to get Roy to snuggle with her. This is about as close of a snuggle that he would permit...but he was purring, so life must've been good.
Finally on the 23rd of April we began our journey back home to Japan. We had a good time in the states (I may recover from driving on the interstate at some point....way to fast!) but wish we could've gotten to San Diego to see May and her family.
We left Salt Lake and flew to SEATAC airport in Seattle Washington. Through processing and then on to our gate. We were going to wait at the USO, but decided sitting down to dinner would be nice. And it turned out that our gate was at the end of the terminal and no other planes were flying out. As a result the kids got to run around in organized chaos and burn off some energy.
The mural was on the windows at our terminal. Very pretty. I didn't find any info about the artist, but then I have to admit to being a little tired and not looking that hard.
We got in around 9pm the 24th (local time) and into bed around 1am. Since jet lag hadn't caught up with Andi, she went to school that Monday, the 25th. The jet lag catches up to her in the evenings. She's been falling asleep around 6pm, I rudely wake her up and make her stay awake til at least 7. I haven't done much better, I've been asleep by 8 or 9. (with a nap or two thrown in there).
It is nice to be back home. Our little corner of the country seems to be running normally. There is still a lot of work to be done in our seaside port, but the hope is that the fishery port will be ready for the June squid season.
Well, that is it for now. I'm off to watch morning talk shows (morning is not my most productive time of day) and perhaps get some cleaning done.