Sunday, July 24, 2011

Field trip and Tanabata Festival

July 22 2011: So Andi has been in a summer school class for Japanese Culture, put on by the school's culture teacher. This last day of class we had a field trip to the Asamushi Aquarium in Aomori. A 2 hour bus ride there. Luckily, there are potty breaks on the way. Parking areas (aka rest stops) can be fabulous places, complete with my kind of horses!
The aquarium isn't that big. But it does have some interesting fish. I like the sting rays. Some look like they are smiling, others...not so much.
Now, those who know my history with jelly fish will know just how much I shudder to have to look at these things. Why would anyone want to light them up to make them look pretty is beyond me....they are still gruesome. I think I'd rather have a pet rat....

The dolphin show was pretty good. I thought these two were pretty cute. I don't think I've ever seen markings like that on a dolphin.

Above: A Flower Horn Cichlid. Sometimes I think scientists are drunk when they name things. I think I would've called it Brain Horn Pink Fish.
Below: One ugly fish. Yes, that is all one fish. It is called a Pirarucu, is freshwater in the Amazon region. It can grow up to 10 feet long and 400 pounds. How would you like to have that nibble on your toes!

When we returned to base the Tanabata Festival had started. What better way to end the day then to stroll around, with your shaved ice, enjoy the breeze and the smell of so much good food!
Friday evening (the 22nd) had beautiful weather. A slight breeze....I think my child is in there somewhere....
there she is!



"Issho ni sore o okonatte Nippon o ataeru koto ga dekimasu" This is the motto for most
celebrations this year. It will show up later this week when I take you to the Tanbo art display.
Below: The local pizza delivery vehicle. Pizza in town can be a great adventure. Especially if you can't read...it might be squid, octopus, or is it just plain sausage?

When a store is closed, there are roll down doors that cover the regular doors and windows. I like it when they are painted.
Looking in a store front. They must be getting ready for another parade later in the year!
A couple of locals. I did get video of the fellow playing, but I am having difficulty getting it to upload. So for now it'll just remain a mystery.

Above: Waiting for her ice cream!
Below: Stringing up some more decorations. They are taken down each night as the road is reopened to traffic til late the next afternoon, when it starts all over again.

And now for our dinner! Our favorite festival food, Ankur India Restaurant. We love the curry, (chicken for me, mutton for Shane) and the bread that it is served with. Andi just goes for the bread. Especially when it gets cooked right there!

Taking the bread out of the cooking kiln. If you look closely it's just possible that Andi is drooling. Oh, then the topper, brushed with melted butter! Yum, yum, yum....the perfect way to end our day.
The festival runs into the evening hours, I think around 9 is when they close up shop, it starts again the next afternoon. But I think Andi and I had a lovely time wandering about (Shane was working).
Now, it was a busy weekend. There are more pictures to come this week. Didn't want to put 50 plus photos all in one posting....spread the joy out. My goal is Wednesday to have the next bunch up.
Now, off to be productive in the house...I feel a nap coming on.