Monday, September 5, 2011

September 3 2011

September 3 2011: Today was Shane's pick as to where we went. Well, he was put on the spot to pick some place to go for the day, as I was tired of deciding. Since he and Mom have never been, that was the pick. Andi is always up for the aquarium. I wasn't to thrilled, having just been there earlier this summer. But alas, it was much more fun when not having to keep track of 4 children (3 of whom aren't your own). And much more relaxing when not on a time constraint. For example, the entrance outside....I have never noticed the artwork. Huh, go figure.
As always though, the sea critters were mesmerizing. Though I do feel bad for them. Some of them should really have much larger tanks, or better yet, just not be in there.

Oddly, I forgot to take pictures of the names of things I was photographing. So aside from the obvious Lion-fish and turtle....these two are just going to be mysteries. Though I do love the one below...a face only a mother could love.

We did go see the dolphin show and then went back to the holding tanks. There was a sign there. (if you click on it, you'll see it larger) or you can read it here: "Warning! Spray of salt water appears by jump of dolphins. Because there is danger that is involved in a dolphin, Please do not grow a hand in a fence." Some days I am just confused by what I read.
Above: A view from the windows of the aquarium of Aomori. (well, just a little tiny corner of Aomori. It really is a big city)
Below: What to do should your car stall on the train tracks!
As we were driving to and fro on the street trying to find the entrance to the aquarium (I should know it having been there, but I've been there in two different directions....I confuse easily) we noticed a Torii gate and steps! This usually means a temple or shrine is nearby.
So, what the heck, off we went for a side adventure. We approached the steps. Our jaws dropped a bit. The risers on these steps were made for giants! They were a foot high! I am not kidding....talk about a workout. Though Shane thought they were just right. Andi saw no problem either and went up lickety spit, and back down to check on us old folks, and back up. The she just stood at the top waiting for us to crack, snap and pop our way to the top (that would be the sound our knees were making). There was possibly only 50 some steps in this manner, but given the fact they were twice as high and probably made by some drunken monks, it had to have been more!

Above and below: Did I mention they were also incredibly STEEP! The above is from the second landing of steps and below is atop the third landing....oh, I'm sorry, you don't see any steps...they are there, but like I said STEEP!

So, after this incredibly hard climb, plus another 40 or so normal sized steps, nice and gradual steps, we get to the top. A grand shrine or humble temple? No...something akin to a storage shed. There were no ropes or bells to indicate a shrine or temple, so we have no idea why the grandeur of the steps. But, steps went down the back side towards the ocean. Yippee!
Oh, wait, those end at another Torii gate and a fence. Luckily that gate wasn't locked, as we had already decided that going down the steps of drunkenness probably wouldn't be a good idea.
So, we opened the latch and walked into an old parking lot and some sort of abandoned fair grounds. A great view of a mystical "sea lion" though.
And in the fenced off fair ground area a lone statue remains. Perhaps pondering days gone by filled with children's laughter.

Beyond the fair grounds was a little fishing village and the bay. I'm never sure what the bay is called. I'm fairly certain it is Mutsu Bay, but at this location, being right off Aomori, it could be something else entirely.

Above: A fisherman. The clouds look like they should just be dumping a torrential down pour. It held off til we got back to the car, and even then once we got back into the mountains, we left it behind.
Above: A view of the seaside village. A lot of closed shops. A few were open, mostly restaurants offering Peanut Butter and Jelly! NO, of course not, they were offering seafood! We didn't have any. Having just picked up some stuff at a "combini" and picnicking at a bench by the bay.
Below: Is this a new logo for Coca Cola, or is it just in Japan?


Above: A view of the mole hill we labored so intensely to get over. It doesn't look like much here, but really it was a bit of work! If those stairs were close by I'd have a workout to do every day!
All right, every time I turn around at a point of interest or rest stop, mom is taking pictures of the "you are here" map. I just couldn't resist this when I realized Andi was also taking part! Although, it really does help to have these pictures, as sometimes I do have to refer to them while en-route to figure something out! (And yes, I do have my own photo of this map)
It's been another busy week. There'll be another double post this week to cover Sunday's adventure, and perhaps at some point I'll get the other stuff in as well. We have had a few bicycle rides, so there is plenty going on!