Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snow and Festivals

December 21 2009: Well, it finally happened....we got a decent amount of snow! I know, I feel as though we have been living in paradise compared to the amounts of snow falling in the states. In talking to some of the locals, getting snow this late in December is more normal....last year it started at Thanksgiving. All I know is that when we got here Jan 4, there was lots of snow and it didn't stop til April.
So today a walk in the snow, followed up by some pictures from a couple of weeks ago. We are over our illness...not sure if it was an oinking flu, or really bad colds, either way, it's done. Andi is on winter break. No mercy was shown however, as I dragged her out of bed to join my friend Carol and I on our daily walk.
Above is one of the roads I walk down to get to Carol's house. They don't plow in Misawa, so this is what the roads will look like on a good day. Then melting, freezing and yuckiness will take over.

Above, the road into our subdivision. It's paved now, but the snow pack will be a fixture til Spring (unless the sun gets to it)


Andi taking a break from all the walking! Actually, we hadn't gone to far...well, about quarter of a mile, but really, just the beginning of my daily walk.


While we waited for our friend to finish "layering" Andi made snow angels. It was perfect snow for angel making.


Took some little side dirt roads that border the now frozen rice fields. Pretty peaceful. Did hear one "flying pig". Not sure why it was by itself...but I'm still not good at tracking geese. We thought this one was in the shrubs somewhere, so when the noise disappeared overhead, we were all a little surprised. "There went a flying pig" I said....I'm not sure anyone really heard me but the woods. (Flying pigs....I'll have to digress a bit here. When we first moved to Michigan I had to wait for the school bus. Out in the bitter cold (first winter there, didn't know what cold was) anyway, out in the bitter cold, lots of cloud cover. I could hear pigs. I asked Pop where the pig farm was. He looked puzzled and said no pig farm around....(by the way we were living out in the country). Next day, same thing....really, I said there are pigs around somewhere. Finally on the third day, yet again I heard the things. This time I happened to look up (there was a break in the clouds and the sun broke through, unusual at that time of year to see the sun). And lo and behold, there went some Canada Geese......those darn flying pigs. Perhaps I should mention as was about 15 at the time...one would think I knew what pigs sound like.)



Just some scenic shots of what was around this morning.









OK, so a bit of backtracking here. On Dec 6 we went to a "festibal" of sorts. A new "mall" opened. Sort of a mall, kind of like a market/bizarre indoor retail area. And use the word "open" loosely as well. It was actually outdoors, as the indoors wasn't finished. But here in Misawa, if they say a grand opening is happening on a certain day, and the contractor hasn't finished....to bad, the event happens anyway.


But first, to get there we had to have a little walk. Just a short one, from the main gates, out to "American Park", which is right outside. Along the way, I noticed things hadn't seen on previous jaunts. I'm sure the plant is the only thing that could comfortable sit in this chair...



The elephant above and the dog below were both doing duty at the same entry way for one of the massage parlors. Andi liked that the dog had a "collar" on.





American Park is decorated with various shapes of Christmas trees. They are all built using plastic water bottles of different shapes and sizes. I'll have to come back up some evening and get pictures of them all lit up. But hey, now you know, another use for all those bottles sitting around at home waiting for the recycles to be picked up.







It was a nice day (way back at the beginning of December) The festival went way up "White Pole Way" (lots of poles once painted white....though I think it is supposed to be Main street now) Anyway, as always, mostly food. But we decided to "eat our way through" this time. But once I have food in my hands, I can't take pictures....so no pictures of the delicious "rice on a stick" I had (soooo goooood!) or Shane's potato. Just trust me...some of this food is great...ok, the sort of tempura sardine left a little to be desired....just not a cold fish person...ok, not a fish person...






Did indulge Andi at the "bounce house". I was intrigued as the attendant, after the kids were all in and bouncing around, carefully paired and lined up there shoes. He had hand puppets as well, that he stuck through the door to entertain the kids with. Andi was the only American, but had a good time....bounce has no language barrier.






Above: I guess every mini pincher dreams of being a Tiger....



Andi's favorite thing to eat at any festival.....chocolate covered banana's. It's my favorite too, but usually she won't share....unless I pull the "but I gave birth to you" card.



One of the food tents. I would have to say that there was only about 10 food tents this time. But that would probably be due to the fact that it is December. Usually at some of these festival there'll be about 30-40......all smelling oh so good. Even the things that stare back at you, smell good, just not sure about eating something that is staring back at me....that'll be for another festival.


And finally, what all the well dressed bottles are wearing. They actually sell these fancy little cozy's now and then. I've seen them a couple of times...but never have the "mad money" to spend do dress my bottles up. Some day....
All right then. Hopefully with school out for the week we get some adventuring in. Will depend on Shane's work schedule and just how much adventuring I feel up to. Andi and I are supposed to bake some Christmas cookies today (as long as we don't eat too much batter) and take them to neighbors....again, as long as we don't eat to much of the finished product either. Otherwise our morning walks are going to have to get a lot longer.