Monday, February 8, 2010

Dull Moments

February 9 2010: Yee Gads! Another slow week. Shane ended up working the whole weekend, days, so not much to do. Yes, I know I am capable of going out and exploring on my own. For heaven's sake I learned to drive in the snow in Michigan. But there is something very intimidating about getting into an accident in a country where you don't quiet speak the language. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but in Japan, you are automatically at fault 50% regardless of who was the cause of the accident. The theory is, if you weren't out driving this never would've happened. So, I prefer the buddy system. Shane has noticed I don't back seat drive as much in the winter....I'd hate to be blamed for an accident...I'll hold my tongue. (this is what he says to Andi and I "hold your tongue" she and I being totally irreverent will promptly reach into our mouths and grab our tongues, and keep talking....there is no hope for us)
Anyway, the above photo is the ice gathered on the roof of the house. As soon as the sun hits it, off it goes.
Big puffy clouds. I tried to get them without power lines, but not an easy feat in this neck of the woods. Power lines are everywhere, part of the landscape.


We got 4 inches of fresh snow this weekend. So Andi had a blast playing on her freshly packed snow piles. But it has warmed up again, so the roads are mostly cleared again. I'm not sure why Washington DC panics, just wait a day or two....it'll melt right off. I have seen a few plows here, but only 3. And that's through almost 2 winters now. There are a LOT of plows on base, but that's where all the crazy drivers are....all right, there are more than a few out here in town, just no plows.

Hard to believe that in just a few months this field will be flooded with water, and little rice starts will be out there making the world all nice and green again.
Well, here's to an adventure this weekend. Shane is off, there are "festibals" in nearby towns. I'm hoping for at least one day of being out!