Friday, June 11, 2010

June 2010 (so far)

June 6 2010: Andi, Shane and I rode our bikes to the downtown area to watch a parade to kick of "American Day" (if you'll recall a few months ago we had "Japan Day" this is our give back). The parade started off with a phenomenal amount of motorcycles, most on Harley's. Had no idea there were so many in the area. Then in looking at the bikes, realized some had large boxes/crates strapped to the back, they had traveled a ways to be here. At least 200 bikes, probably more. Last year at "American Day", it rained. Apparently it's rained for the last 4 years. This was the first sunny, clear "American Day"....glad we got to see it.

It was a western theme this year. The various squads/companies of military set up various booths outside the main gate with typical American food. Down the road were the Japanese food booths. We ate Japanese...."something on a stick" as SAM refers to it. Sometimes we're not sure what we have...as long as it tastes good we really aren't to concerned.


"Make Merry" is what his shirt says. Words to live by.



June 10 2010: Andi is taking "koto" classes. This is a Japanese Harp.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~np5y-hruc/kt-play1.html

She is rather enjoying it. Except when everyone is playing at one time, and no one is playing the same thing at the same time....then it is a bit overwhelming.

The lady below is the instructor. We have a translator that comes in to help out. There is also an assistant for each student....all very adept at koto (the assistant). The instructor goes around to each student to help with the technique.
Below: This is Andi and her assistant for the evening.

Below: Just outside the lesson room is one of the tea gardens. It looked very peaceful and quiet out there.


June 11 2010: Well, Mormor (grandma, my mom) is here. She joined us on the 7th, having taken the Shinkansen from Tokyo. I think jet lag might be leaving her, as she didn't require a sudden nap at all this day. Andi wanted to go to the park, so mom and I walked down, while Andi rode her bike (so she could get there so much faster)
At this park there is a roller slide (which Mormor went down) some swings, and some single bar monkey bars. Perfect for hanging by the knees.

Mormor asked Andi if Andi knew how to "skin the cat". Which, since she is my daughter, of course she knew....

So, of course, to be the instigator, I asked if Mormor could still "skin the cat". Oh, the challenge was on! (And no, I cannot still "skin the cat" I am sad to say....I must work on that)


Just look at that face of determination!


That's about where I get stuck, getting the other foot over....it took a bit of wrangling for Mormor as well. (am I a bad daughter? encouraging her mother to do such a risky, daring move?)

In position!


ummpphh! Where did the next picture go? Trust me, she did do it! I guess the picture didn't get loaded. Ah well, just take my word on it. I was most impressed. I don't recall my Grandmother ever being able to do that, though she could pan for gold.


Below: Andi getting ready to jump off the bar

And away she goes!
Just hangin' around.


Below: Oh yes, we were out on a walk after all....here are some azaleas.
Video: From American Day, Japanese Marching Band