Sunday, January 16, 2011

January 16 2011

January 16 2011: Well, that was a long week! I recovered from my "mild" case of the flu. Shane's back is feeling a little better, and Andi is her usual bouncy self. We got out for a little drive. Really, it was an errand to run to Hachinohe to Shane's computer store, but the way home was, of course, "pick a road" trip back home. We ended up in the industrial park area. Not hard to do if you go and choose the coastal roads!

Not exactly the most picturesque part of Japan, but if you keep your eyes open.....
and what a treat we got!
Above: Those are all hawks (well, there is one or two crows posing as hawks, but it's probably just envy) We saw two large "kettles" like this. One group was over trees, this group over a processing center (processing probably some sort of seafood variety of stuff).
I have never seen such a thing. A hawk here, or there, but not a whole kettle! (that's our new word for the day....kettle, cast and aerie.....what a flock of hawks can be called)
Through my Internet searches I have not found anything as to why we saw the kettles. Are they migrating? Hungry and taking advantage of the processors? Mating? (didn't see any in flight action so perhaps not mating) or nesting? Couldn't figure it out.
And for you bird watchers out there.....what type of hawk is this? I've narrowed it down to three possibilities.....goshawk, sparrow hawk, or red tailed hawk. Once I know that, then I can figure out the Japanese name for it.
Regardless though, it was just one of those most magical things to see in. One to file away in the memory banks to pull out on days when you need a reminder of the goodness of life. I think I could have stayed out there all day trying to capture the perfect shot. But two dozen clicks later, Andi announced she was starving and near tears. Truthfully I was rather hungry as well. Off we went.