Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 15 2011

August 15 2011 - Ahhhh, the summer doldrums. That period of time in summer when there is just no motivation to do anything. Well, not entirely true, would love to get out and do lots more, but alas the Yen rate is a real downer. When we first moved here it was 98 Yen to the dollar, so pretty even. Now it's 76 Yen to the dollar. So, it's like $1.25 to get 100Yen....it may not seem like a lot, but it adds up quickly! Plus, mom will be coming in a couple of weeks, so by saving now, we can splurge then.
But there is still plenty to do. All three of us have bicycles, and there are lots of places to pedal around to. On this day (in reality it was last week) we biked onto base, and stopped for lunch. The dragonflies are out in abundance. On the railing there was one every other post...for about 30 feet. We rode all the way around base and home, racing the rain clouds the whole way. In total on that ride we went 15 miles. I know this as on my new bicycle I had an speedometer/odometer installed. With the speedometer....talk about motivation to pedal at a decent pace....what a workout!
And yes, we beat the rain home....for the most part!

Due to the tsunami and the devastation left behind, we aren't allowed at a lot of the local ocean beaches. However there is the "base beach" which is a lake. (I believe I have mentioned this lake before...with a long name, Ogawaraga (I think that's the spelling) that we have access to) It is brackish water, but not to bad temperature wise.
For me it's not the same. I love the sound of crashing waves. But oh well, the future life guard below loved running along the shore line.
Now, as we start off looking at the pictures below, keep in mind, she has had many, many swim lessons. In fact swims rather well in a pool. Take away the cement walls and it was like starting all over again.
I had to support her til she felt comfortable enough for a dog paddle out to dad. (all of 10 feet away) After doing that a few times....
He sent her on her way further out. Ok, this is a deceptive picture....she looks way out there! But really, I think it was just another 15 feet. And oh, when she stopped and put her feet down, the water was barely past her belly button. I think she thought her parents were just torturing her making her swim without aid. Until I told her that both her dad and I swam in many a lake and river in our day.

Ok, remember that odd drink that I took a picture of in a vending machine? Well, after much searching, we finally spotted them again and they weren't sold out! We were out on our Kokeshi Doll Museum outing. Deciding that the name sounded like there would be possible instant "cleansing" of the digestive system, we waited til we got home.
I expected something along the lines of a V8. No, not so much. It tasted like peach soda. (ok, imagine peach juice with some fizz in it) Really, I'm sure that's all it was....there were no fiber like bits of pulp, no strange aftertaste, no hasty retreats to the bathroom. Huh, go figure...