Monday, June 6, 2011

June 6 2011

June 6 2011- All right, let's not have a freak out about the spider! This is our door pet. No name for her yet, but she is reliable. Every night at dusk she comes out and builds her web in the same spot under the mailbox, right by the front door. The eatings must be good, because I think she has grown since I took this picture, she must be the size of a quarter now. (the picture was taken about 2 weeks ago). She's off to bed by the time we head out for our day. The rule of the house is...all spiders must live outside. By doing so they are guaranteed a long and happy life. Come inside, and you'll meet the bottom of my shoe! Every night for the last month and a half....what a good pet spider. Of course you'll hear me shriek to the ends of the earth if she does come inside!
Anyway, more pleasant things. Ate at a restaurant on base that we hadn't been to before. Not that it's that big of a base, with an abundance of eating places (not counting the food court, I can't count the restaurants on one hand, minus a finger or two). It has a great view of Lake Ogawara. http://www.ilec.or.jp/database/asi/asi-40.html There is a path that leads down to lakeside access for base use. (our own secured beach, I guess) I took a picture of it, as Shane on a day of energy road his bike UP this rather steep incline. Just looking at it makes my heart pound and legs burn (does this count as a workout?) Too bad we didn't get to eat enjoying the view...but the food was good anyway.

Above: Andi receiving her Citizenship Award. She was totally floored...not expecting it at all.
Saturday the 4th, and it's time for another bike ride. Andi asked for lunch at her favorite restaurant..."Viking" (I'll explain in a few minutes) It turned out to be a great day for signs as well!
The sign below is for a day care center. Take a good look at the picture of the kid on the sign. Not sure that's what excitement is supposed to look like (?)
Below...The Dolphin Vet. Because, yes, even dolphins catch colds. Really, it's just the name of the veterinary clinic that treats dogs, cats, birds and rabbits. It just struck Andi and I as silly. Perhaps it was just hunger getting to us.

Above: The sign we were looking for. Yes, I know, it doesn't say "Viking" anywhere on the sign. It is the style of eating. There is a grill in the middle of your table. Go to a buffet line, pick your various meats (a wide range, chicken, chicken parts, beef, beef tongue, squid, pork, pork parts....I usually stick to the chicken and beef....the parts...not so much) Anyway, grill those up at your table, along with whatever veggies, grab a bowl of rice (already cooked) and whatever else you can imagine and eat to your hearts content for about 90 minutes. (go back for more as much as you want) It's tasty good!
Then when done, bicycle your bloated belly back home....nah, we didn't over stuff to badly, it was a pleasant pedal home (about 5-6 miles)
Above: Now, if I can remember where I saw this sign....we'll have to go back and give it a try!
Above: Paver tiles in the pathway.
Below: Found a really nice bike path off the road, through one of the neighborhoods. Went past about 4 or 5 neighborhood park/playgrounds. I love these parks!

Pretty flowers in bloom. I think they are peonies. I could be wrong....I'm sure someone will let me know.
And ducks (?) in the rice paddies. We're pretty sure they are ducks, just not sure what variety. There's something to find out....what does a duck say? Dogs say "won won"...(pronounced "juan juan"...like the Latino name) I'll get back to you on that.

Above: This gave us a double take. Really shouldn't be anything unusual about see a deer rack of some kind. Except we've never seen deer, or anything else of the species in this area. One can only assume, perhaps the Northern island has some sort of creature...
Below: Had to make a quick stop at our neighborhood park (as we cut through it on the way home). Andi had to demonstrate her new found skill of going down the slide crouched on her feet. I hope she doesn't hit a bump and take a chunk out of her tongue. (she is blessed with the family trait of "tongue concentration" from both sides of the family)
I'm sure her next goal will be to do this standing. I wouldn't put it past her. A lot of the kids go down standing....oh to be coordinated...