Monday, July 6, 2009

July 4 2009 - We went to Hachinohe once again, so that Shane could get further help with his computer. Apparently computer geeks can understand each other, no matter their language. While Shane was busy at the store, Mom, Andi and myself wandered down the street to a park we had noticed.
This is "Historic Nejyo Plaza"
Lord Moroyuki Nanbu (above) established Nejo Castle at this site in 1334. I haven't been able to find a lot of info, in English, about Lord Nanbu. There was a great amount of info at the park entrance, and throughout, unfortuantely we didn't see any park volunteers who spoke English. There is still a musuem for us to explore, so maybe in there I might find more info.
So, this will be an ongoing quest...learning about Nanbu, and the significance of his compound.

A Buddhist Cemetery, within the grounds of Nejo plaza.


One of the Shrines.



Just an intersting spider web. Very big webs around....thank goodness Ididn't see any spiders, they might be a tad large.





Reconstructed Bower- not sure if this was a cottage/retreat or if it had other usues. It is labled Bower on my info pamphlet. Now you know as much as I do...



A Model of the remains on the Plaza.


Sunken-floor storage for food. It is a thatched roof and just about touches the ground. If I were a child, I would probably have to resist the urge to see if I could run up the roof line without being caught....not that I would have ever done such a thing. Andi was just amazed at how low to the ground they sat. The doorways were very low as well. One had to squat quiet low and remember how to use muscles, long dormant, to scootch in to see the inside. I did get photos of mom ducking in, but well, I want her to keep talking to me, so I won't post THAT picture.


I think this is in one of the workshops. Notice that the timbers are all hand tied.

Inside the main structure they had setup manniquins in re-enactments of what might have occured there. On the walls behind the warrior are various weapons.


A shrine room.



Inside one of the guards workshops.



After the plaza, we strolled back to the computer store. I had noticed this house on the way down. Tucked in off the street is just seemed peaceful and serene.
We returned to the computer store, to find Shane's computer in pieces on the counter and a new one being built. Replacing the parts that had suffered injury...so we continued down the street to a cafe we had noticed earlier.



The cafe, a quiet corner above, is called Cafe Flanders. It is a cafe and doggy bar. One can bring their dog in with them. A normal menu and a soup for the dog! There was one dog in there, apparently it must have been Flanders. As, after we were done waitress gave us a business card with a profile of a dog that looked like the one we had seen. Not sure what kind of dog he was, rather large, with a big bark. We startled him when we came in and he let out a big bark. Andi's eyes were as big as saucers. Andi had the best drink. She had wanted a hotchocolate, but due to my forgetting how to say a word....I was trying to convey "not to hot, luke warm", but somehow she ended up with iced hot chocolate with homemade whipped cream. I had iced tea and mom coffee. We decided Andi's was the best.
Then finally, it was time to go home. Shane's beloved was repaired and running. Suddenly he was much less stressed.
I think since Mom has been here we have been to the computer store a total of 3 times. She knows the way to Hachinohe as well as we do. More specifically she knows how to get to the computer store!