Wednesday, January 13, 2010

14 Inches!

January 14 2010 (Thursday): Well, Tuesday night we went to bed with just 2 inches on the ground. Woke up Wednesday to 13 inches with another inch falling during the day. Andi was so EXCITED to have that much snow at one time. School went on a 2 hour delay, but being the diligent parent...she stayed home. (hey in my defense she had been complaining of a sore throat the night before) And yes, being the diligent parent I let her out in her pj's. The snow comes to just below her knees.
I shoveled, while she played. I couldn't get all the snow over to the edge of the driveway...so there is a giant island down part of it. I made the driveway wide enough for the truck, plus a little more. The Japanese workers that came out later (could have saved myself a little work) only did path ways about 3 feet out from the garage and the front steps.
I do have to say, with Andi's hat riding that low....I'm not sure how she sees out. But she gets around.








This would be later in the day, after that extra inch fell....putting the snow levels at her knees. She assured me it was very difficult to walk in.




Above: Instead of asphalt shingles, we have sheet metal strips. This is great as the snow doesn't build up on the roofs. It does slide however. It was so wet and heavy yesterday that you could hear it groaning as it started to slide. Once the slide was in full force it sounded like an earthquake, with the rumbles, plus the house shakes with it. You can see across the way how much snow has fallen off the neighbors houses.





But, there are some things Andi just won't skip. Swim class being the primary one. By the time we went in the streets were nicely packed. Shane came with us, so as to help me with the truck. I must admit to not being inclined to drive in the snow. Actually, as a lot of you know, I learned to drive in the snow. But since being here, haven't done it. Last year it was mainly due to the fact that I could barely remember to drive on the left, why would I want to throw bad road conditions into the mix. So, I drove to swim lessons, with Shanes foot planted firmly on the imaginary brake on the passenger side.







And, of course, after a day of snow and swimming, and a treat of playing for an hour at the food court play land...a nice hot bath was in order. Don't you love our tubs? These things are great....can overfill them, as that whole room is the tub and shower room. Deep, long tubs and a good bit of steam.....ahhhh....you know I just may have to go take a soak myself.






Now we get to today, Thursday. This is down at Andi's bus stop. The huge pile of snow if what the farmer plowed in his work area.


A view of our street. Hasn't been plowed.....probably won't be. Our house on the left, with the garage door that you can see.
Following below: pictures from my walk this morning. Thank goodness for "yak trax", a wonderful invention that just makes walking in the plowed snow SO much easier....no slipping.





Above: somewhere in there is the shack.


Looking across the fields.
Now off to do the things that I procrastinated yesterday. The dishes are still in the sink, the living didn't get vacuumed, clothes not folded....but that's ok, snow days are worth it.