Saturday, July 3, 2010

July 2 2010 Cape Shiriyazaki

July 20 2010 found the five us of winding up the coastal road to go to Cape Shiriyazaki and the Kandchime horses. Well, it was a bit of a foggy day, so no one got to see majestic views of the Pacific Ocean.

We did find a turnout on a cliff side where we were able to go and follow a trail a short distance and get some pictures of the foggy coastline. I would give you the name of the seaside village that it was near, but my English map gives very little info, and my Japanese map gives lots of info, just in Japanese. So, we'll just go with somewhere along the coastline of route 338.

We stopped in a little town, which I think might be Oippe. I say this as there was a sign indicating the way for Oippe Elementary School. Shane and Andi decided it was lunch time, so stopped at a restaurant. We were led to a back room, to accommodate the "large" party of 5. A traditional eating room, on the floor. Only Andi was comfortable. Got our menus, where I about passed out from the prices, cheapest appeared to be around $20 a set. (set includes main dish, rice, miso soup, and a couple odds and ends) Shane this time ran through our limited Japanese of restaurant eating and found they had yaki-nikku (fried fatty chicken). Andi wanted just the miso. So through our hand gestures we ended up with 4 complete sets of yaki-niku (which included the chicken, large portions, shredded cabbage, bowl of rice, miso soup and some garnishments). Andi ended up with Miso, rice, a giant clam and cabbage. I was having panic attacks, visualizing that our money would end up here at this restaurant. Mom and Shane ever the adventurous ones just went with the flow. The food was good (though really, I can do without the shredded cabbage. Mom was starting the giggles as she watched me try to keep it in my mouth without gagging. I succeeded, was just a bit of a fight).

The bill came. I was prepared for the worst. Ahhh, but somehow, even with all that food, the total came to 3700 Yen (about $40). That I can deal with. Guess the expensive stuff was the specialty seafood, and one just can't charge a lot for fatty chicken. (picture bacon strips, but made with chicken)
As we left I caught site of this man coming back in with some fresh kelp. The ocean was just on the other side of that sea wall (what you can't see it???? oh, yes, it's the fog.)


In true fashion, I think we traveled all of about 30 minutes before coming to another tourist stop that I had seen last time we were up this way. So out we got to take a gander. Turns out it is a public relations visitor center for the nuclear power plant, near Tomari. Once again, the grand views toward the ocean......

Ahh, nearing our destination. Oh, is the fog lifting? No, we are just on the westward side of the peninsula now. Don't worry the fog will be back.

Right off the bat we saw horses. Mom made the comment that you would think we had never seen horses before the way Andi and I bolted from the car to get pictures. I like these horses, they are all shorter than me....this makes me happy!
Much to Andi's delight this one reached across the fence line for a nose rub. Her day could have been complete right there.


In the gates we drive to the open range. Not to far in we came across a large herd. We didn't venture in getting too close to this group as they had their foals out with them.



Andi and Shane found one with no foal nearby (or are they colts? what is the difference....wait am I off to do some research? no, I really don't care on this one...my passion for horses is VERY limited) so they venture out to see if they can do some hand feeding.

I would really like to know why this one felt the urge to stand in the water. It wasn't that warm out. Perhaps she was just having an anti-social kind of day.

Below: The white horse was a bit of a comedian. After walking all of 2 steps, she just laid down in this lovely patch of clover and went to work. Other horses would come nearby and she would nip at them. It was like watching a cat as she rolled her head around in it. I could hear her saying "mine, mine all mine!"


Below: walking back to the car a group of businessmen came out to be looky-loos as well. Complete in their suits and highly polished dress shoes.
Below: Katie enjoyed taking my camera for a few minutes. You can barely see the car.....
and now, it just completely disappears.....as does the road!

OK, so as we come back to the car from watching the horses, we could see a group of photographers (who had previously been shooting the horses) now intent on something out to sea. I look, and can see on some rocks something perched. Zooming in with my trusty camera, and Andi on the binoculars...we could see something. The shape looked familiar. Could it be a penguin? No, they don't come THIS far North....what on earth. So I take a few pictures, we ponder some more, but just can't figure it out. (of course when I look at the computer we can see how ridiculous we were to even flirt with the idea of a penguin)
Strapping on my "I can do this, I won't combust" attitude. I approach the photographers to ask "Kore wa nan deska?" (what is this, or that, can't remember) A few hand waves as they think I am asking about the Northern Island of Hokkaido (never mind that I couldn't see much past the strange birds) Mom suggested I show them the picture on my viewer, which I did..."ahhhhhh" they say, and expound their great wisdom "tori. tori" "Tori?" I repeat making sure I have it ingrained in my head. "Tori".
Once at home I pulled out my large dictionary and began the search. Ahhhh yes, tori....really, this is just going to blow you away, I had no idea....tori means (ready?) BIRD!
Exasperated sigh....I knew it was a bird! But Shane did the research for me. Japanese are notorious for shortening their words whenever possible.
umiu-tori Japanese Cormorant
ok, I'm ok now....Tori works. Apparently it is to refer to the umiu-tori. Not sure if it applies to all birds. Will have to check that out.
But then, as going through Katie's photos of her journey.....guess what she got a shot of while down South....her very own tori!

All right, we are done with our bird lesson now. And for now done with the horses. Off we go to explore the beach. There is a lot of trash that washes up on this point. But first, we must strike a pose.....

Below: Mom enjoying the scenic vistas. There is ocean behind all that rock.

That's about as far out into the Pacific that we could see on this day.


Above: Shane out looking for tidal pools.
Below: Katie and Andi are off to look for treasures as well.


A starfish in one of the tidal pools. This is one of Andi's favorite things to do at the ocean, find the pools and then see what pops up.


Above: If you look very, very carefully you can see jammed into the rocks in the background, as basketball. Yes, it came home with us....it's still good afterall. (if you click on the picture itself I think it enlargens it and you can probably see it better)

The Goddess reigning over the Northern Pacific and Western Pacific Ocean.

Below: Always a delightful find.....a sea slug.

Below: Shane took the camera for awhile and had fun playing with it (he also got the shot of the sea slug). But this time he had the camera slung around his neck, and was just taking pictures as it hung there, not using the view finder....just freestyle. He got some really good shots!
Below: Yup, there's the basketball....look, our very own "Wilson"! (ok, so it's not a volleyball, but it is a Wilson.....go watch "Castaway" if you don't get this reference)

Below: Look! There I am! Yes, I know it's foggy....so why the hat? Well, fog is moisture...it does strange things to my hair. Trust me, there's a picture of me earlier in the day and my hear is about 4 inches puffed out....the hat is good.

Above: an anemone (and yes, I had to do a spell check on that....good heavens it's like saying cinnamon....it doesn't just roll off the tongue)
Below: another starfish

Still foggy.Andi and Wilson.

Below: Pretty flowers coming up through the rocks.

Apparently there not being any views of the ocean didn't really stop us from having a good time. This just gave us time to focus on beachcombing. Katie found a small glass ball as did Shane and I. Thanks Katie for letting me keep the ball! (not that I really gave her much choice....)
Below: And if you look very carefully into the fog, you can see the lighthouse. Really, you're looking? I wouldn't if I were you....you can't see it through the fog. And frankly we are only a little sure that we were looking in the right direction.

Below: We took a drive around the rest of the park. Out in the distance we could see this figure on his paddle surfboard. Never mind the signs that are everywhere warning of strong undertows and the possiblity of your body being tossed upon the rocks......
Just in case you want to learn more about paddle surfboarding.

We had to come back out they way we came in as the gates on the backside of the park were closed. Ended up with more pictures of horses and their wee ones.
On our way back we had to take a detour to see where the road not travled took us. It ends at a little seaside village with one heck of a bridge to get down to the wharfs.
It's really not unusual to see a boat parked on the side of the road.
Narrow little roads in the village (possibly the village of Kukidonosaki... or at least near there, but not real sure)
Below: As always colorful houses catch my eye.


Another view of the bridge leading down to the fishing pier/docks/wharfs.

Yup, another house. When I grow up, I'll have to create my own subdivision just so that I can have houses of every color in them....none of this all beige color schemes.

And one last view of the mountains.....they too are covered in fog. But still a good trip.