Sunday, July 25, 2010

Tanabata Festival

July 25 2010: I said in the last blog that festival season is upon us! Here it is another weekend, another day of finding "fried goodness" to eat from the many vendor stalls. This is the Tanabata Festival. Which I did blog on last year. This year we went in the evening when it is much cooler....makes a big difference (huh, go figure).
http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/folk/tanabata/index.html
Make sure you follow the "next" buttons on the link to get the full story. I noticed on the link it said celebrated July 7 or August 7, obviously Misawa's isn't...not sure if that is scheduling conflicts, or just the way they like it in this region.

During this festival lots of folks dress up in their Yukata- summer kimono. The Americans will wear them as well. Me? Nah, don't own one. Maybe some day....instead of running after my child's school bus in a big purple bathrobe, I'll be out there in my Yukata....
http://www.japanesekimono.com/yukata_kimono.htm

Shane and Andi all ready to go!


There was a bubble machine on the pavement. The children (and the grown children) had a great time walking through.

Just one of the many decorations. (above and below!) Actually, I did google jujiya.....a webhosting company of some sort in Japan....a restaurant in Paris (don't think this is for the restaurant).




Sights of the festival.

Andi had her own Yen to spend. She was rather pleased with her purchase of a crown, and chocolate banana. And the bonus was not having to have her mother say "I'm not wasting my money on that, use your own." She did, but that doesn't always stop the lecturing.....spend wisely.



Above: A couple of cooks at one of the food stalls. I do believe that I have mentioned....lots of food. No need to ever be hungry at these things.

Andi was delighted to pet this HUGE lab (he's laying down so he doesn't look so big at the moment) but he was the most well behaved fellow. Except when another dog walked by, he just about dragged the table out into the street. The little lady who owned him couldn't get him back to the curb, so Shane went and helped reel him in on his leash and petted him til he flopped back down.


Above: Of course, you can wear whatever you want to the festival, including your fishnet stockings and heels.....

Stayed til the street lights came on...


Above: More fashion wear.
Below: A jam session. I did get video. It's below but very short....batteries died.


And so as darkness set in, and Andi started rubbing tired eyes, we headed home.

Sorry the video is so short....like I said batteries died.