Thursday, July 1, 2010

June 27 2010

June 27 2010: While waiting for a China store to open, Mom and I did some meandering around. Actually, the adventure to the store started a few days before this, when we went looking for it. It is located in a part of Misawa that I haven't really explored. With Katie navigating, with a map that is at best an approximation of where things are...we made our way there. With several optional turns thrown in. But we made it. Though when we all piled out of the car, I finally took the time to read the store hours....oh, only open Friday, Saturday and Sundays....hummm here it was Thursday. At least we knew where it was.
So, on Sunday went straight there. But this being a small town, he had a sign out that he would open at 1, instead of the usual 11. What better invitation to go looking around.
There is a Buddhist Temple nearby that is large, with extensive burial grounds.



So far my limited research has not revealed the proper name of this temple. But it'll be an ongoing quest, and hopefully I'll get the name and give it it's proper due.


Above: A fountain on the grounds.
Below: Many depictions of Buddha.




Below: Guardian at the entrance to the cemetery. He's either god of thunder or wind, can't remember which.
So many resting places. It is hard to get an idea as to how old this place might be. Some monuments look very old.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2060.html Just to give you an idea of the funeral process.



This was a very ornate monument. Lots of little details. One can only assume that it must be someone of great importance.
Below: Detail from above of the front pedestal.

A happy Buddha statue. Of course, as my niece Katie pointed out, a fat Buddha is an oxy-moron. He was actually very thin due extensive fasting. But this guy, I can relate to. I like the happy Buddha.
Below: What appeared to be a mystery statue. Who is this depicting? Why is he here? Ahhhh, but the answer would be reveled later in the week. You too shall have to wait. (plus it give me more time to research some stuff....though I do know his name already)

Below: Couldn't help but notice the blue house across the way....it kind of stood out on a gray day. I rather liked it.
Found a few more houses while waiting for the China store to open.

The manufacturer of the house below was having an open house across the way. Mom and I went in it. What else does one do on a Sunday but peek into open houses. It's the first time I've done it in Japan though. These (well at least the one below) are very modern houses, very American. Large and open, but yet a cozy feel to it all at the same time.

And yes, we finally did make it to the China store. China as in plates, bowls, cups, made in Japan! Got some new mugs with a wonderful pattern. Will have to build my new collection slowly. But now that I know where the store is....should be a piece of cake!