Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Earth Shook!

March 13 2010: Hello All! We are safe and accounted for in our family! The earthquake hit us at 2:46 pm Friday the 11th. I was fortunately up at Andi's school to pick her up from an after school activity. We were separated during the quake (she up at the school, me in the parking lot about 50 yards away). So I was able to get to her right away. We were able to make our way home (no power through out the base or in town) where we joined back up with Shane.
We've been together in our cold house (which we are NOT complaining about) since then. The tsunami wave didn't reach us (we live about 5 miles inland) but from what we understand the fishing port has been wiped out.
Power came back up this morning (Sunday morning at 3:20am).
Right now I have no pictures to post, as we've been staying out of harms way. But perhaps today we will venture out a little bit and see what pictures we can get.
We've had a LOT of aftershocks (about 250) since Friday afternoon. Some have over 6. I woke this morning to a 6.0, and then woke again a bit later to the sound of the power coming back.
Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who are affected in this wonderful country.
I'll post pictures when I get some, but for now we're safe.