Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 17 2011

March 17 2011: Well, 6 days after our now 9.0 we are still chugging along. I thought I'd put in a photo from almost 2 years ago (July 2009) of the area from around the shrine where we went this last Sunday. Below are a couple from Sunday (which you've already seen) Of course it is still winter temps, so that explains the dull brown grass, but a lot of those trees and bushes are gone.
In the above picture, that are where you can see some little trees, that would have been just thick with trees and bushes.
We do get CNN and Fox and all the news here on our Satellite. If I so desire I can switch over to the Japanese TV as well. There is a lot of information out there. While it is bad, as bad as bad can get, please keep in mind that here in Misawa we are doing ok.
Andi has been out of school everyday so far this week (just Friday left to be decided on and I doubt they'll go) and is longing to get back in her routine.
The base is operating at about half power, while out here in town we have power, but limited kerosene to heat the house with. Fortunately we do have electric heat as well, though we are trying to be very conservative so we are dressed in many layers. It snowed yesterday so that made it a bit colder in the house. But if this is our biggest compliant or discomfort, then we aren't complaining!
Admittedly, I haven't been out for any volunteer opportunities. Shane has to work every day to make sure his equipment is responding as it should, so I stay with Andi. She is a bit stressed (probably more from not having school and a normal routine) so I don't have the heart to leave her with a babysitter so that I can go volunteer. I do know though that everyday the base has such a big turn out of volunteers that they have to be turned away!
Also, in light of how much media coverage there is, this blog will more than likely not show any more before and afters. There is still so much beauty in this area, that I feel the need to focus on that. But always the spirit of recovery will be with SAM.
Also, in light of fuel restrictions for the foreseeable future, road trips are out of the question. Bike rides, however, will become the new norm. Though I will have to wait for the snow to melt (I am not coordinated enough to ride in snow pack as some of the locals due with such grace....there is no grace in this body)
In summary, there is little danger for us in Misawa with the nuclear power plants. All scenarios show that we are safe. Though don't worry, this doesn't mean I've put my head in the sand....I continue to monitor information and make my own informed decision.